Barbara R. Gadbois has been a partner with the firm since 1993. She concentrates her practice in the development and management of construction projects including the drafting and negotiation of bid and contract documents, procurement issues, public works, competitive bidding requirements, bid protest issues, prequalification, project delivery methods, including design-build projects, risk allocation in contracts, claims avoidance and project closeout. She is also one of the few attorneys in California to be a U.S. Green Building Council LEED AP.
Construction and Public Contracts
Real Estate Law
University of California at Los Angeles School of Law (J.D.), Los Angeles, CA, 1985
Northwestern University (B.A., Psychology), Evanston, IL, 1982
State Bar of California
Los Angeles County Bar Association
(Real Property Section and Construction Subsection)
American Bar Association
(Public Contract Law and Construction Industry Forum)
California's Coalition for Adequate School Housing
City Attorneys Association of Los Angeles County
Speaker, Constitutional Issues Relating to Buy Local, Local Hiring and Contractor Preferences, Program Chair, Best Practices for Public Works Contracting in California, The Seminar Group (Jan 2015)
Speaker, Unchartered Territory for Charter Cities Complying with Prevailing Wage Requirements after SB 7, CAALAC Monthly Luncheon Meeting (Jan 2015)
Speaker, The Seminar Group, Public Construction Law, (December 2014)
Speaker, 97th Annual Conference, California Association of Public Procurement Officials: Construction Contracts – Understanding Prevailing Wage Laws and Key Contract Terms (January 2014)
Speaker, American Bar Association Forum on the Construction Industry: The Fundamentals of Construction Law (November 2013)
Speaker, CAPPO Gateway Luncheon, Public Works Construction Law Update, (March 2012, March 2014)
Speaker, Prevailing Wage Law in California, Lorman, (August 2011, August 2012, May 2013, August 2013, August 2014)
Speaker, Public Works and Construction Contracts Seminar, Lorman, (July 2012)
Speaker, Constitutional Issues Relating to Buy Local, Local Hiring and Contractor Preferences, League of California Cities, City Attorneys Spring Conference (May 2012)
Speaker, “New Normal” in Labor: Living Wage Ordinances, Project Labor Agreements, and Local Hire Programs, City Attorneys Association of Los Angeles County Spring Retreat (March 2012)
Speaker, Public Works Legal Update, California Association of Public Purchasing Officers Inc. (2008-2012)
Speaker, Municipal Law: Green Design and Building, Legal Risks and Issues; Public Works Projects, Claims Avoidance, Bid Protests and Dealing with Defaulting Developers and Sureties, sponsored by CLE International (June 24-25, 2010)
Speaker, San Diego County City Attorney’s Association: Bidding, Bid Protests and Prequalification (Feb. 2010).
Speaker, American Bar Association Forum on the Construction Industry, TIPS Fidelity and Surety Law Committee and Section of Public Contract Law: Turning a Battleship: Design-Build on Federal and State Construction Projects (Jan. 2010).
For more information please print full bio.
U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1985
U.S. District Court Central District of California, 1986
U.S. District Court Eastern District of California, 1986
U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 1986
U.S. District Court Southern District of California, 1986
LEED Accredited Professional, 2009
Barbara R. Gadbois, Esq., Co- Author, WARNING to California Contractors - Extended Liability for Prevailing Wage Enforcement Actions; How to Mitigate Your Risk, "Construction Savvy" (May-June 2014 at p. 15)
Key Construction Contract Provisions, (Co-Author), "Construction Savvy", (July-August 2013 at p. 8)
Acret’s California Public Contract Laws, (Co-Author), 2012-2015 EditionsTurning a Battleship: Design-Build on Federal Construction Projects
, Co-Author (Winter 2011) The Construction Lawyer, Journal of the American Bar Association Forum on the Construction Industry, Volume 31, Number 1, at page 6. (Reprinted with permission of Westlaw and the ABA.)New Caltrans Race Conscious DBE Program
, Co-Author (Summer 2009), CMAA Southern California Newsletter.
For more please see full bio.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell (highest rating)
- Chambers USA Leading Individual, California Construction, 2007-2015
- The US Legal 500, United States, 2009-2014
- Southern California Super Lawyers, 2004, 2008-2015
- The Best Lawyers®, 2017
• Ms. Gadbois serves as construction counsel to the Rose Bowl Operating Company for planning, administration and close-out of a four-year $168 million renovation and expansion project. Our services include drafting and counseling regarding RFPs, contracts, amendments and insurance for consultants; drafting and counseling regarding contracts for construction, bid protests, local business and local hire programs. Counseling and management of contract closeout including response to disputed claims and stop notices, release of escrowed funds Day-to-day assistance with administration of consultant and contractor contracts.
• Ms. Gadbois currently assists the City of Pasadena with requests for proposals, design service agreements, bidding and contract documents, contract administration and closeout for capital improvement projects including: the Glenarm Power Plant, Water and Power Office Building and Warehouse, Police Shooting Range, Fire Station #39, Urgent Care Center and park projects. She is currently assisting the City of Pasadena with a Department of Water and Power claim/litigation arising from a $12 million project with course of construction issues and project close out claims.
• Ms. Gadbois has served Crescent Heights® Acquisitions, a high-rise residential and commercial developer, with drafting design and construction documents, assistance with project administration, change order drafting and negotiation and project closeout. Representative projects for Crescent Heights include: $70 million Regatta Seaside Condominiums, Marina del Rey, California; $55 million Remington Condominiums, Los Angeles, California; $50 million Mayfair Condominiums, Atlanta, Georgia; $90 million Metropolitan Condominiums, San Francisco, California; and $139 million Ko’olani Condominiums, Honolulu, Hawaii. Recently, Ms. Gadbois assisted Crescent Heights with design and construction contract drafting and negotiations for a $172M San Francisco high-rise residential tower project, and as part of a team of prestigious law firms, Ms. Gadbois and her firm have served as construction counsel to the Alameda Corridor Transportation Authority. Ms. Gadbois has drafted bidding and contract documents, a Disadvantaged Business Enterprise Program, a Job Training Program and bid protest procedures. She provides regular consultation on issues involving bidding, contract interpretation, contract compliance, change orders, stop notice claims, and prevailing wage compliance.
• Ms. Gadbois advises general contractors on issues relating to prequalification, bid mistakes, bid protests, outreach programs, subcontractor listing, subcontractor substitution hearings, and project close out requirements on various public works projects including projects at the John Wayne Airport in Orange County, the Adelanto Detention Center in San Bernardino County and the Bob Hope Airport in Burbank, California.
• The City of Riverside retained Ms. Gadbois to assist the City attorneys’ office in drafting a design-build ordinance and proposal documents for a library project. She is currently assisting the City of Riverside with ongoing bid and contract issues and providing option analysis for a $200M water treatment facility expansion project.
• The City of Glendale retained Ms. Gadbois to draft a design-build contract for a public parking structure funded by the Federal Emergency Management Administration. She assisted with evaluation and drafting of change orders and project close out. Ms. Gadbois has also drafted a design-build contract for use by the City’s Parks and Recreation Department. Ms. Gadbois assists the City on an ongoing basis with updates to bid documents, bid protests and course of construction issues.
• The Ojai Valley Inn & Spa retained Ms. Gadbois to draft contract documents for construction of $50 million renovations and expansion project. Ms. Gadbois and her team assisted the Inn in resolving course of construction and projec
City of Pasadena/Tournament of Roses Association
Crescent Heights Association
John Wayne Airport
Adelanto Detention Center
City of Buena Park/Metrolink Station
The Ojai Valley Inn & Spa
City of Riverside
City of Glendale
City of Los Angeles Department of Public Works and Water and Power
Los Angeles County Metropolitian Transportation Authority
Orange County Transportation Authority
« Back to Attorneys